After six horses died from eating alfalfa contaminated with blister beetles, North Carolina officials say they have determined a single load of 500 bales from Kansas was the source of the problem. The hay was delivered the Murphy Hay and Feed in Louisburg on August 11th.
The North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services confirms the bales from the tainted load were bound with a reddish-orange twine. Murphy Farm Hay and Feed sold much of the hay at retail. The alfalfa was also distributed to Jones Farm Hay and Feed in Middlesex. No other North Carolina locations received hay from this Kansas farm.
Toxicology tests confirmed the presence of cantharidin, the poisonous substance found in blister beetles. Six horse deaths have been confirmed due to the contaminated alfalfa.
Agriculture Commissioner Steve Troxler said, “we are continuing to reach out to all customers that may have purchased hay from either store as we attempt to account for the distribution of the entire load.”
Customers who purchased alfalfa hay, bound with a reddish-orange twine, bought on or after August 11th from either location, are encouraged to stop using it immediately and return it to the location where purchased.
A load of hay, containing about 500 bales, is contaminated with the striped blister beetle. A visual inspection of the contaminated hay shows dead blister beetles.
Blister beetle is not common in North Carolina, according to officials. Cattle, dogs, goats, sheep, and horses may be affected, with horses being more sensitive to the toxin.
Feed affected by the toxin may or may not have visible beetles in it. Veterinarians recommend horse owners should monitor their animals and contact their veterinarian if any of these signs are observed: inflammation, colic, straining, elevated temperature, depression, blood in the urine, increased heart rate and respiration, dehydration, sweating, diarrhea, and death.
When asked about the location and name of the Kansas farm that produced the contaminated hay, we were referred to the FDA since it deals with interstate commerce.
Deadly disease North Carolina Ag officials confirm a mule tested positive for the deadly Equine Infectious Anemia (EIA) last week. A veterinarian pulled blood from the 14-year-old female or mollie mule located in Johnston Co... Read More
Lab results detected two ionophores in a bag of Nutrena horse feed after two horses died last month. The horses' SafeChoice Senior horse feed tested positive for monensin and showed trace amounts of lasalocid.... Read More
Okeechobee, Florida A Florida court has permanently enjoined an animal feed manufacturer. It comes after 17 horses were euthanized due to the company’s alleged misbranding and adulteration of pelleted horse feed. The ... Read More
Gastric Calming Supplement is culprit in FEI suspensions Cargill states a tainted gastric supplement sold under its brand Progressive Nutrition is the reason two U.S. dressage riders were suspended from FEI competitio... Read More
A Texas horse trainer saves 25 horses from drowning in Houston's raging flood waters. Justin Nelzen said, "when I got there immediately I noticed a horse was caught in a fence and was in danger of drowning." Nelzen is our ho... Read More
Recall Bacteria detected in product samples leads a Kentucky based animal health supplement manufacturer to voluntarily recall three animal eye drop products. Lexington based Kinetic Vet is recalling the following products:... Read More
An Ohio couple accuses the maker of Tribute Equine Nutrition of knowingly distributing ionophore contaminated equine feed. An FDA investigation asserts Kalmbach manufactured a medicated feed immediately prior to Lot #71345 [... Read More
Horse owners allege Archer Daniels Midland Company poisoned their horses to death with monensin-contaminated horse feed. A class-action suit was filed Tuesday. Plaintiffs Beth Berarov and Annelisa Bindra filed the complaint ... Read More
The death of more than a dozen California horses linked to monensin tainted horse feed has prompted the filing of a lawsuit. The plaintiffs allege Western Milling, LLC, located in Goshen, was negligent in the manufacturing a... Read More
In-depth Investigation A California feed manufacturer accused of selling monensin-contaminated equine feed, knew about cross contamination issues for years, according to reports from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FD... Read More
Cold weather, particularly below freezing temperatures, along with blistering cold rains, requires horse owners to pay careful attention to their equines to make sure they maintain their weight through the winter months.... Read More
Lab results confirm the deaths of three California horses were caused by monensin toxicity. The horses died last week at Katie Flanigan’s Black Fence Farm, in Fresno. Five horses have died as of Tuesday.... Read More
A California based feed mill operation is recalling horse feed due to "potential monensin contamination". Western Milling announced the recall of 50-lb bags of Western Blend horse feed on Friday after three horses died.... Read More
North Carolina officials have issued a stop-sale order on the blister beetle contaminated alfalfa shipped from Kansas. Six horse deaths are now attributed to the tainted hay, according to officials.... Read More
The FDA is issuing a warning to veterinarians and their clients not to use products made by a North Carolina Pharmacy after its closing and a recall. The North Carolina Board of Pharmacy shut down the Fayetteville based Pres... Read More
“This was a detrimental mistake. I’m shocked they haven’t made it right,” Kaycee MacGibbon of Running M Performance Horses says. The North Carolina barrel racer is living with the deadly consequences of contaminated ... Read More