New York Horse Lawyer
Melissa Subjeck is the firm’s lead equine law partner. Additionally, she is a longtime owner, breeder, and rider of national champion horses.
Melissa’s horses have garnered championships at the United States and Canadian Arabian and Half Arabian Championship Horse Shows, the prestigious Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show, and many regional and class A horse shows throughout the country. She is frequently resident in our Saratoga Springs and New York, New York offices.
Melissa provides legal counsel to owners, breeders, trainers, and businesses in the equine industry. Her knowledge of the equine industry, combined with our experience in all major areas of U.S. law, make Hodgson Russ particularly adept at protecting your diverse needs. Our representation includes equine-related advice and representation on litigation and dispute resolution, contracts, financing and corporate transactions, real estate acquisition and leasing, zoning, employment issues and immigration, estates and trusts, and tax planning.
Melissa is a member of the United States Equestrian Federation and the Arabian Horse Association of New York.
Equine Law Experience
Our practice spans many aspects of equine law, including the following:
– experience litigating and settling horseback riding accident and negligence claims, agency issues, sales and ownership disputes, and contractual claims.
Equine Contracts and Releases
– assist clients with negotiating and drafting equine contracts. This includes boarding agreements, breeding contracts, purchase and sale agreements, commission agreements, and liability releases and waivers.
– assist equine boarding and training stables with issues related to nonpaying boarders, including negotiating payment of outstanding fees, obtaining and enforcing equine liens (also known as horse liens, agister’s liens, and stablekeeper’s liens), and coordinating the transfer of registry papers.
– represent owners of racetracks in regulatory matters before state gaming commissions and in negotiations with off-track betting facilities.
Estates and Trusts
– provides sound legal advice and insight to help provide for your horses’ uninterrupted and continuous care if they outlive you. Our attorneys are highly skilled in dealing with all estate planning tools, including complex equine trusts. We advise clients on all aspects of planning, administration, settlement, and taxation of estates and trusts.
– advises clients on the formation of the appropriate structure for their equine operations, as well as issues related to capitalization, contractual agreements, labor and employment, and regulatory issues.
– assist clients with obtaining appropriate work authorization and immigration status for professionals and individuals engaged in a variety of equine-related businesses and professions. Our clients include equestrian athletes, trainers, grooms, veterinarians, equine dentists, farriers, saddle fitters, lecturers in equine health, breeding stables, professional equine associations, and owners and employees of many types of businesses in the equine field.
Zoning and Agricultural Land Use
– help stable owners and veterinarians obtain appropriate land use permits and approvals needed to develop a property for their horses or treatment of horses, ensuring compliance with all applicable local, state, and federal laws.