“We just buried our fourth horse yesterday,” says North Carolina horse owner Pamela Colbert. “It has been an emotional, draining weekend, just awful.”
Colbert says she purchased alfalfa just over a week ago from her Middlesex area feed dealer. Her AQHA show horses nibbled at the alfalfa, but quit eating the new hay. Colbert gave it to three horses and a pony on the farm who don’t normally get alfalfa. They ate it.
“They quit eating and they weren’t in distress and then they were in trouble. When they were close to the end they were sweaty – that clammy type sweat – their gums were white and they had foam coming from their mouths,” Colbert recalls. “It was terrible.”
A necropsy and analysis of the hay purchased by Colbert confirm blister beetle toxicity, according to the treating veterinarian Dr. Karen Bulluck of Eastern Equine Veterinary Service. She says it is the first time she has seen the diagnosis in 26-years of practicing equine medicine.
Dr. Bulluck gave three of Colbert’s Quarter Horses, including GQ Celebrity, a clean bill of health after they ate a small amount of the affected hay.
The striped blister beetle is black with three vertical stripes and is one of the blister beetles species horse owners should be on the look-out for.
The fluid from a blister beetle’s body contains cantharidin, which is highly toxic to horses. As little as four grams of dried beetles can kill a horse. And the toxicity of cantharidin does not decrease in stored hay. It can also affect humans, dogs, and cattle.
The alfalfa was reportedly shipped from Kansas to North Carolina by Murphy Farm Hay and Feed’s contact. Will Murphy, of Louisburg, told us Monday he stopped selling the alfalfa Saturday after he was alerted regarding the blister beetles the night prior.
The suspect alfalfa bales came in about three weeks ago and are tied with a two-tie orange baling twine and weigh about 70-lbs. Murphy says his Murphy Farm Hay and Feed will give a refund on alfalfa purchased.
Colbert says she wants to make sure no one else feeds the tainted batch of hay to their horses. “I’ve always fed alfalfa and knew about it [blister beetles]. I would ask where it came from.”
An official with N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services says it began its investigation Monday.
As a result, the hay masked the less palatable toxic plant. Commonly called "horsetail," horses are highly susceptible to illness or death due to equisetum toxicity when consumed in large amounts.
... Read More
Recall Bacteria detected in product samples leads a Kentucky based animal health supplement manufacturer to voluntarily recall three animal eye drop products. Lexington based Kinetic Vet is recalling the following products:... Read More
The death of more than a dozen California horses linked to monensin tainted horse feed has prompted the filing of a lawsuit. The plaintiffs allege Western Milling, LLC, located in Goshen, was negligent in the manufacturing a... Read More
Lab results confirm the deaths of three California horses were caused by monensin toxicity. The horses died last week at Katie Flanigan’s Black Fence Farm, in Fresno. Five horses have died as of Tuesday.... Read More
A California based feed mill operation is recalling horse feed due to "potential monensin contamination". Western Milling announced the recall of 50-lb bags of Western Blend horse feed on Friday after three horses died.... Read More
After six horses died from eating alfalfa contaminated with blister beetles, North Carolina officials say they have determined a single load of 500 bales from Kansas was the source of the problem. The hay was delivered the M... Read More
North Carolina officials have issued a stop-sale order on the blister beetle contaminated alfalfa shipped from Kansas. Six horse deaths are now attributed to the tainted hay, according to officials.... Read More
The FDA is issuing a warning to veterinarians and their clients not to use products made by a North Carolina Pharmacy after its closing and a recall. The North Carolina Board of Pharmacy shut down the Fayetteville based Pres... Read More
A horse feed company is issuing a recall of some horse feeds due to a possible Rumensin contamination. Bartlett Milling Company states the feed was distributed in North Carolina, South Carolina,... Read More
A Florida horse feed manufacturer is voluntarily recalling several equine products saying there may be a "quality issue." Lakeland Animal Nutrition issued the recall and is suspending the manufacture and sale of all equine f... Read More
North Carolina officials have confirmed four horses were euthanized after contracting the neurologic form of equine herpesvirus (EHV-1) at a boarding stable. The farm, located in Raleigh, is under a state placed quarantine.... Read More